By Scott A. Mitchell
Divided into 3 elements (Histories; Traditions; Frames), this advent lines Buddhism's background and come upon with North American tradition, charts the panorama folks Buddhist groups, and engages present methodological and theoretical advancements within the field.
The quantity includes:
- a brief creation to Buddhism
- A ancient survey from the nineteenth century to the present
- assurance of latest US Buddhist groups, together with Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana
Theoretical and methodological concerns and debates lined include:
- Social, political and environmental engagement
- Race, feminist, and queer theories of Buddhism
- Secular Buddhism, electronic Buddhism, and modernity
- pop culture, media, and the arts
Pedagogical instruments contain bankruptcy summaries, dialogue questions, photographs and maps, a thesaurus, and case reviews. The book's site presents advised extra assets together with web content, books and flicks, equipped via bankruptcy. With person chapters which may stand all alone and be assigned out of series, Buddhism in America is the best source for classes on Buddhism in the USA, American non secular historical past, and advent to Buddhism.